Poetic Leanings at Big Brass Blogs
I've been a subscriber on Bloglines to Big Brass Blogs for a while now, because it provides a porthole into other liberal blogs, many of which I would probably never find on my own. I've been struck by the consistency of the gleanings - most are well-written, striking pieces of writing. This one, dated Saturday, April 16, 2005 and cross-posted on Poetic Leanings, deserves to be quoted in its entirety (it's short, at any rate):Changing Times?
When a person today says they were wrong fifty years ago for calling blacks inferior, referring to inter-racial marriage as the mongrelization of the races and for stating that allowing blacks in the military would ruin the armed services, that person is not noble today for changing positions. That person is merely among the last to climb on board the train of enlightenment.
When a person today calls homosexuals sinners, refers to gay marriage as harming the sanctity of marriage and states that allowing gays to serve openly in the military will ruin the armed services, that person is simply acknowledging that they wish to be among the last to climb on board the same train of enlightenment. I love the cool certainty in the author's tone, the flat-out statements, the fact that the "person" is never gendered (so tiresome when "he" is the default used!). I love the brevity, I love the simplicity, I love the calmness.
Fantastic piece of political writing.

2 comments:
You're right, that's a great post!
Cheers. I'm trying to create my own stuff, but until then I'm happy to put up pointers to other people's work. :)
Post a Comment