World Shut Your Mouth!

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Think TV shows don't affect women's options?

Think again:

"The sponge was made famous by the television comedy "Seinfeld," when the character Elaine hoarded the devices once they were no longer made. She then used the birth control method only when she deemed a man "spongeworthy."

That episode, and repeated re-runs, raised awareness of the product. Allendale, which bought rights to the Today Sponge in 1998, received daily inquiries and kept an e-mail list of about 9,000 women interested in the sponge's return, said Allendale President and Chief Executive Gene Detroyer." (Reuters, "Sponge Contraceptive Returning to Market", via Reproductive Rights Blog.)
Holy shit. You mean, all it takes to re-introduce an over-the-counter birth control option is repeats of a popular comedy show and about 9,000 women? Hell, I'll crank out some comedy writing and see if I can achieve the equal rights amendment, equal pay, a better judicial system for rape survivors, and access to abortion for every woman. Oh, and I might as well pen a few humorous lines that result in pharmacists doing their jobs.

No comments: