World Shut Your Mouth!

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Blog Day 2005: no more 'Here be Dragons'.

Drawing of ships tipping over edge of world Blog Day is here! The idea behind Blog Day is to encourage you to venture off your well-worn blog reading paths. To participate, you need to visit and briefly write about five blogs that are new to you. By writing about your chosen blogs (doing the "homework"), you chart new waters while also encouraging others to explore further beyond their known sea-faring blog maps.

The only criteria is that the blogs must be "from other countries or areas of interest."

So, in the interest of filling in those "here be dragons" spaces, here is my contribution:

1. Feminist African Sister
[Update: Because this blog has been pulled, I've removed my original entry.]
2. Bunnyfoot
I found Bunnyfoot on the sidebar of a blog I subscribe to, kblog. I eat meat, and Rae at Bunnyfoot is "mostly vegan", so this blog definitely qualifies for inclusion under the criteria of Blog Day.

This San Francisco-based blog is fun because it has fantastic photos of food, and provides vegan information and recipes. (Sopa Azteca and Japanese Potato Salad sound good to me.)
3. antiblog
I found this Canadian blog by Cournoyer Marc using the "next blog" button on the toolbar at the top of my Blogger window. As this was in French, I was very intrigued! I was greeted by a Green Day video, which played automatically. There was no way to turn the video off, unfortunately (nothing against Green Day). Scrolling down the index page, I saw commentary on English song lyrics, and many entries with photos.

Being an ignorant American who is not fluent in French, I ran "Pour mon Amour, Marie-Élène...." through Google's translator and read a passionate post written to the blogger's girlfriend, Marie-Élène ("I would learn all the languages from the world to say to you the most possible manner how much I love you."). This one is also moving. It looks fun to be a teenager in Québec!
4. Igualada Cemetery
The description of this blog reads, "A small tribute to Enric Miralles by Gregorio Brugnoli Errázuriz, Arq, A trip into the landscape of the dead." I didn't know who Enric Miralles was, but a quick trip to Google gave me a good idea.

This blog begins with a series of beautiful photographs of Igualada Cemetery with short commentary (strangely, always in English, while the rest is in Spanish), and the latest entry (again, according to Google translator) reads:
"Thanks to Loreto and Isaac, finally I am made the trip so many times delayed towards the cemetery of Even, of Car to me Pinos and Enric Miralles. A trip where one is memory and landscape, and from where Miralles watches completing of its work. Even though planimetry and photos play with the book eye and publications, the effectiveness of the game between the work and the landscape are unquestionable front to the empirical verification. Also he is satisfactory to see as the memory and its representation take body on the projected thing, constantly transforming the work with some detail impertinent intruder and. The cemeteries are alive beings, that do not support any type of aesthetic presumption on them. (to cross the photos from down upwards)."
(Google needs to tweak its translator, but I think I get the general gist.)

I thought that the "Arq" after the blogger's name probably referred to an architectural degree, and I confirmed this by checking a related blog by the same author. Errázuriz is actually a graduate student in Architecture at the Universidad Central de Chile - and also somehow associated with Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile. Perhaps Errázuriz could help expand Wikipedia's entry for Igualada Cemetery (and the cursory entry for Enric Miralles).
5. look through my eyes
[Update: Because this blog has been pulled, I've removed my original entry.]
Links:

9 comments:

Denise said...

Good finds! Thanks for posting them.

Sour Duck said...

:) Thanks, Denise, for the comment. I had alot of fun putting this together.

Anonymous said...

SD, fun stuff! Thanks for posting this. I don't know that I'll be able to get to "Blog Day" on the correct day, but I hope to carry over the concept. I used to "Next Blog" all the time when I had a Blogger blog. It's a big world.

Anonymous said...

P.S. Forgot to add: great photo of ship falling off the end of the earth! Here be dragons, indeed. =)

Julie Leung said...

Yes, great blogs! Thanks!

K said...

ohhhhhhhh no i'm too late!

Besides most of my links would probably come from you :-)

Sour Duck said...

Hi ae - The photo I probably should've given a credit for: it's from the cover of "The World is Flat" by Thomas L. Friedman.

Yes, the "Next Blog" button is a blast, although I did come across a fair number of spam sites.

Julie & kristy - thanks! :))

Anonymous said...

Hey Sour Duck, wasn't sure if you were spaming my site or not but was glad to know you were for real. Have added you to my favs.

Thanks for your kind review of my blog...:)

Sour Duck said...

Hi AfroFeminista! Glad you stopped by.

Yes, I realized after I'd left my comment at your blog that it looked kind of "spammy". :D ;)

I look forward to reading more of your writing. Take care.