World Shut Your Mouth!

Monday, October 31, 2005

Blog Designs-you-like

A blog post about other blogs. Incestuous, isn't it?

Melle.ca: A huge 3-D ball point pen hovers over the blog. I like how she chose what looks like a Crystal Bic, and how it's foreshortened. (Also: rolling your mouse over the blog title reveals a nice detail.)

Three Kid Circus: Carmen Miranda banner and sidebar graphics are stunning against a white background. This self-mocking sendup somehow resonates with me.

Music and Cats: High definition images of wood and poured concrete drive me crazy (in a good way). The textures and colors juxtaposed here give the blog an industrial feel that I find pleasing. Cute cat as well.

Fiat Lux: I like the dashed lines (stitching?) around the perimeter of the blog, and the color scheme.

Knowledge is Power: Beautiful, almost ethereal photo in the masthead. Puts me in the mind of some sort of utopian future-world.

My Heart's in Accra: Again, a stunning masthead image. (Ethan Zuckerman provides background about the image.)

Charles on... anything that comes along: Love the dot matrix look of the banner image. It also reminds me of an art class assignment: project a photo onto drawing paper, trace the outline in pencil, and then "draw" the image using a dot technique with one of those fine black pens.

Home Cooked Theory: Nice colors, and a bit of a mystery for me: what, exactly, are we looking at? Is that a wall socket in the middle? And those colored odd things—what are they? Stools? A memorable image despite, or maybe because of, my non-recognition.

Finally, there's always Dooce's masthead archives to survey (via The Adnostic).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice links.

Thanks for the one to me, you found me before I posted about my masthead (I change it once in awhile). It's not utopia, it's a park in central Illinois.

Your link to Dooce may have inspired me to put up an archive of my mastheads, if I'm not too lazy.

Sour Duck said...

Paul - Ah, it's a park in Illinois! I'd love to see an archive of your mastheads...

MC - Thanks for the pointer, I found your friend Notsusan's "Sitting Waiting" series, and they are fantastic. Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Those are some great links! I do love a great blog design and finding great ones! (Although the envy at their talent is tremendous!)

Sour Duck said...

Hi Jenn - Re: "blog masthead envy": Oooh, yes, I know what you mean! ;)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link! And what great company in which to find myself. I particularly enjoyed the photos of the Milles sculture at KIP and the music/dancing at My Heart's in Accra.

My banner changes every few days, so that each of our cats and my violin get a turn. Eventually I'll figure out how to make it happen automatically.

Sour Duck said...

Kimberley - Hi, thanks for the name of the Carl Milles; Kiplog has actually written a post about the masthead image with some additional photos of the park.

"My banner changes every few days, so that each of our cats and my violin get a turn."

I see it's changed to the violin against a red quilt; nice one. ;)