Bloglines' Public Profile option
I've previously noted that I like Bloglines' public profile option. I want to talk about it a bit more, with some trivia at the end.
If you're unfamiliar with Bloglines, it's an aggregator, which is a type of program that collects syndicated material, such as blogs. By signing on with Bloglines ('tis free!), you can subscribe to different blogs and it'll collect all new postings under one roof.
Now, Bloglines has an option for you to create a public profile. Once you set up your public profile, you can create a blogroll that others can see. In this way, you can share your blog enthusiasms, as well as letting the bloggers themselves know you're reading them.
I get a kick out of reading other people's subscriptions. This invariably leads me to new blogs. I also like the flexibility of the public feeds option. Once you've set up your profile, you aren't committed to sharing your whole blogroll—you can set the option on some of your subscriptions (or even entire folders) to 'private'. What you share with others is entirely up to you.
Bloglines' system also seems democratic in that I can view someone else's reading habits, and they can view mine—assuming both of us want to share! I find it gratifying to have a window into what other bloggers, especially well-known ones, are reading. Want to know what Elayne Riggs reads? Hey-presto—you've got it.
Something that made me laugh
Bloglines allows you to organize your blogs into folders which you can name. The other day I noticed a semi-new public subscriber to my linkblog, and the the title she gave to one of her folders cracked me up: Hell yeah, I'm a feminist!
Related link: Bloglines FAQ


No comments:
Post a Comment