Even when you think to yourself, "it's just off the top of my head"...
… there are political implications, because we live in a culture where White is dominant.
I'm taking myself to task a little with this post, in addition to drawing readers' attention to a series of posts by Liz Lawley at Misbehaving.net.
In the last couple of SpeakerWatch entries, Lawley points out the resistance to including more women at the Web 2.0 conference. In "If you were tim o'reilly..." she gives her wished-for panelists and invites readers to contribute their wish-lists. I jumped in with a list of women whom I thought had a mixture of technical and/or blog knowledge and experience, and whom I would enjoy hearing speak at any conference.
I gave a small caveat that the list was "off the top of my head." Not only once, but twice, when I posted a small addendum to my original comment.
Well, even when you make statements that claim you're perfectly innocent, you need to be aware that there are political implications to your well-meaning intentions. The thoughts you purport are just "off the top of your head" may exclude people from groups that are outwardly different to yourself. In short: I realized later that my list was comprised entirely of White people.*
What if I were in a position of power and had little or no awareness of diversity or race issues? My initial thoughts would strike me as just fine and dandy and I wouldn't see the need to alter my nominations.
Web 2.0 Conference Wish-List, Take 2
In light of the above, here's a corrective and extension to my original Web 2.0 Panel Invitee list (in no particular order):
Tiffany B. Brown - Blackfeminism.org
Marian Douglas - Marian's Blog
Stephanie Schulte - Packed in Saccharin
Jenn - Reappropriate
Liza Sabater - Culture Kitchen
Genia Stevens - SistersTalk
* To the best of my knowledge: I've seen/met five of the eight, and have seen pictures or partial pictures of the other two. In writing this entry, I had no idea about Mary Hodder, but a quick Flickr check and I had my answer.

1 comment:
And remember, when most people say "Just from the top of my head...," there are no women on the list.
Post a Comment