World Shut Your Mouth!

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Nerd by Nerdwest

I recently attended the South by Southwest Interactive conference in Austin, Texas. This post is a run-down of panels I attended, and my general response to the conference.

Be warned: this is a somewhat curmudgeonly narrative. While I enjoyed some aspects of the conference, these moments were few and far between.

I found myself incapable of churning out a glowing post about SXSWi. By the same token, I found it equally challenging to write my own thoughts and reactions uncensored. I went through four drafts. I'm so sick of it now that I find I have to post it - or delete it. Why did I struggle so? I'll address this at the close of my post.

By the way, I didn’t take notes for many of the panels, so this is mostly from memory.

Saturday, March 11

Panel:Better Blogging Brainstorming” (10 AM)

Panelists: Cameron Barrett, Helen Jane Hearn, Min Jung Kim, Tony Pierce.

Moderator: Liza Sabater.

This was the first panel I attended at SXSWi. It took place in a large conference room, with the audience in darkness. There was a high, imposing stage which was framed by scaffolding that held lights that threw a hard white light onto the panelists. There were also blue lights accenting the scaffolding, lending the stage a Star-Wars like theme. The whole thing was wanked up to the nines, but provided a dramatic stage.

The panel began. First, we were to applaud ourselves—for being the first panel on the first day of this auspicious event. I suppose it was a nice idea—put forth by Liza Sabater—but I felt a little silly as I joined in to give myself a big round of applause.

I wasn’t familiar with any of the panelists, so the value for me lay in what ideas, insights, and tips the panelists had to offer.

Tony Pierce was a very engaging speaker; clearly he was at ease addressing a large audience. He told a funny story about how he hated his ex-boss so much, he used to wish she’d get hit by a bus, and a bus would then hit that bus. Funny stuff.

When asked about why he wrote and who he wrote for, he said he wrote for the anonymous masses “out there”. I found this assertion hard to believe; most people write for people they know, either their their friends or family.

The other panelist I really liked was Cameron Barrett, who was less bubbly than Pierce but just as engaging. He said he was the first blogger to get fired for what he wrote on his blog, and he went on to tell the story surrounding his dismissal. My husband, who attended SXSW on Saturday with me, later remarked, “Getting fired for blogging is the new black”. Barrett was more sombre than Pierce, telling the audience “I don’t want to bring this panel down…” before launching into a very reasonable point about real-life consequences to blogging.

He talked about his fiction and how one story (about snowmen who come to life and have sex) led to his firing. Far from bringing the panel down, this tale was engrossing, and he had plenty to contribute in general.

I observed the audience to gauge their behavior. The audience suprised me with their web-surfing (and I suppose blogging) during the panel. I ran into Lisa Canter later in the hallway and remarked upon this; she told me people surf and listen at the same time. I have my doubts. I think they get bored and tune out. In the Better Blogging Brainstorming panel, one guy in the row ahead of mine was looking at Flickr pictures; another was reading news. From the point of view of the panelist, it could look like the audience is bored and uninterested - and that can damp down the energy of the panel.

I was also exposed, for the first time, to the self-promotion that seems to be de rigueur at SXSWi. I felt very turned-off by this. In general, this would take place during the lengthy introductions, where I heard much more about people’s projects/books/business/etc. than I wanted to; but gratuitious self-promotion was not limited to the introductions. The most determined panelist can always find a way to reiterate a plug halfway into the panel discussion. Not all the panelists engaged in this behavior, I should say. Also, Liza Sabater slipped from the moderator role into the panelist role.

The drawbacks to heavy self-promotion are: 1) it looks like you have nothing to bring to the panel but product-placement, 2) it can turn audience members (like myself) off, 3) it degrades the integrity of the panel discussion by interupting the flow of ideas, and cheapening it to a commercial.

I am capable of looking up a panelist (or moderator) on the web if I’m interested in their product or services. The time the panelists indulge in this behavior subtracts time away from the point of the panel: meaningful, focused discussion.

It’s not that I don’t want people to do well with their various projects; best of luck to them. But the panel context isn’t the place.

Besides academic events (in the U.K.), BlogHer is my only other reference point for a conferences. The BlogHer environment was extremely low-self-promotion (at least, the blatant, advert-like kind). More about SXSW culture later on.

Kudos to Liza Sabater for bringing this panel together.

Panel:We Got Naked, Now What?” (11:30 AM)

Panelists: Laina Dawes, Jory Des Jardins, Elaine Liner, Evelyn Rodriguez.

Moderator: Elisa Camahort.

All the panelists were good, but Elaine Liner absolutely rocked. I was a bit concerned about her participation as a panelist, as she wasn’t called on until 35 minutes into the discussion—but she was well worth the wait. She had content, plus funny lines, plus a flair for addressing the audience (which, of course, is a skill good professors possess).

Liner relayed a story she’s no doubt told many, many times, but she told it with great verve: she was fired as an adjunct professor, and she believes (althought this was never proven conclusively) this was due to her anonymous academic blog, The Phantom Professor. She also talked about how the only person she’d blogged about who didn’t mind was “hot pockets”, the attractive male professor at her campus who wore cargo trousers.

Elisa was an excellent moderator. She was able to summarize the points the audience made and keep things moving along smoothly. She was also able to anticipate the needs of the audience, drawing more out from a panelist when she omitted some information.

Presentation:James Surowiecki Presentation: The Wisdom of the Crowds” (3:30 PM)

I could only attend half of this presentation, as my panel was at 5 PM and I had to meet my other panelists an hour before our panel was scheduled to begin.

I sat in the back of this grey, depressing room and tried to listen, but I was too preoccupied with my looming panel participation. There was loud music booming from the act next door, and I felt hot and uncomfortable. Finally I left, trying to exit the room as unobtrusively as possible. (There was a smiling SXSW volunteer stationed at the door whose only function was to open it for those leaving.) (Thank you for opening it, anonymous SXSW volunteer.)

I've written up my panelist notes and published them at this blog (Sour Duck).

Sunday, March 12

I turned up fresh as a daisy the morning of my second day. With my panel over, today I could fully relax. Ahhhh, time to kick back and enjoy the day.

Panel:Respect Your ElderBloggers

Panelists: Ronni Bennett, Lori Bitter.

This was in a more intimate conference room. (The building was cleverly set up for conferences: one of the larger conference rooms could be sectioned off with accordian walls for smaller rooms.)

There was a bit of a love-in at the beginning of this session, with several members of the audience professing their undying love for Ronni Bennett. Not undeserved, certainly, but a little amusing for those on the outside.

Bennett presented a very straight-forward and convincing argument that there is a great opportunity for older people—or “elders”, as she preferred to call them—to jump on board the blogging train. She outlined the cognitive benefits to blogging, citing a few studies, as well as the social benefits. She also pointed out how baby-boom women are a great economic force that companies would do well to pay attention to. Lori Bitter mostly stayed in the background, but she did present some Powerpoint slides and supporting evidence to Bennett’s arguments. They worked well as a team, and the audience participation was earnest and informal.

I first saw Bennett speak at BlogHer last year, and since then, she has done a remarkable job marketing herself as a blogger to mainstream media. Her blog business card promises to describe "what it's really like to get older." She's practically cornered the market on telling this story. And she's the only elder featured by Technorati on their new, somewhat controversial “favorites” gizmo.

I attribute this partly to the skills she draws upon from her previous careers in broadcasting and the media industry. It wouldn't surprise me if she came out with a book deal next year.

Envious, moi?

Panel:Increasing Women’s Visibility: Whose Butt Should We Be Kicking?” (11:30 AM)

Panelists: Virginia DeBolt, Liz Henry, Tara Hunt, Jan Kabili.

Moderator: Ayse Erginer.

Imagine you attend a panel debate called “Blacks and Visibility: Whose Butt Should We Be Kicking?” and the following is said at that panel (the panelists are black and most of the audience members are black):

Panelist A: Black people should just forget about online lists and hierarchies that omit blacks—focus on the blogging. Now, let me talk more about the online company I work for…

Panelist B: Well, I don’t like to play the ‘blame game’.

Moderator: Should we (black folks) be kicking our own butts?

Audience member: Why are you all so negative? All I hear is negativity about how blacks aren’t as visible as whites. Can’t we just focus on the great things black people have done? Then we’re bound to make progress.

Black Audience Member (who is married to a powerful white person with very high visibility): Let’s just focus on the quality of the blogging—who cares about visibility! Comments are their own reward. C’mon people, now! Smile on your brother, start to love one another right now…

Audience member: What is the price of eggs in China?

Panelist A: 1.99 per dozen.

Panelist C: Hey, maybe we should be kicking our own butts.

Audience member: Is there a problem with black people and visibility?

Does’t the above sound absurd? Imagine spending time trying to convince people that white people tend to overlook black people because we live in a racist society. Now imagine trying to do that without ever mentioning white people or racism, and you have this panel discussion in a nutshell.

While the panel outline had wings, it could never get off the ground because men’s part in keeping women invisible was the elephant in the room no one wanted to acknolwedge. The penalties for bringing this point up are pretty obvious: you can be accused of hating men; of blaming others when really you should get off your own butt and just “make it happen” (the “pull yourself up by your own bootstraps” argument that is so loved in America); you might even be accused of being a (man-hating) lesbian. (Oh wait. That’s already happened, despite the panel’s tippy-toey approach.)

In fact, the discussion progressed as if women were living in some vacuum completely sealed off from men. The irony, then, is that men as part of the problem of women’s visibility were completely invisible in that room. Instead, women were painted as the problem. All this had the cumulative effect of implying that women created their own difficulties. (For what? For kicks? As a hobby?)

While the “blame women” argument was trotted out (sometimes quite cleverly camoflaged), another old favorite, the merioticracy argument, was also trotted out for a good airing. If women just work harder to produce quality work, eventually “they” (why state “men” when you can always disguise the gender dynamic?) will take notice. Hasn’t this already been discussed ad infinitum online? It was discussed and blogged about after BlogHer last year, certainly. Yet it still holds sway with some people.

There was a new twist, though - a technological red-herring: an audience member floated the idea of a tagging system. This was seized upon by some members of the audience and the panel. I thought this was a diversion from the real issue, which was more complex and therefore less appealing than discussing tagging systems. I raised my hand, then had second thoughts and withdrew it. I pretended to fiddle around with my camera but unfortunately (or fortunately?) Erginer had spotted it and called upon me. I said I thought it was a bit odd that a technological solution was suggested for a cultural problem. (If you're interested in more, see the posts under Culture Not Technology.) All the tagging in the world does not matter if the men in power do not consult them. It’s just busy-work to keep the under-represented happy.

There also seemed to be a taboo against admitting that women might have ambitions for anything other than the connecting with people online. For women to express the latter is, of course, socially acceptable - just like the new interest in knitting. This was a bit strange as it appeared that some of the women on the panel leveraged their careers with blogging. None of them could say, “Yeah, I like money. I like having it, and blogging has helped me get it, and I think women are ripped off because men have higher visibility through lists and hierarchies, and therefore gain more economically.” Or anything remotely like it. Yet this is a fairly obvious point to raise.

I think the taboo has its roots in the “angel in the house” role that women are still burdened with. Men, on the other hand, are let off the hook (and even admired) for their financial ambitions and jockeying for position. We need to jettison this idea that women are only motivated by altruistic desires - that women are somehow above human desires like passion, greed, the need for power, accolades, and social status.

The level of discourse was disappointing. As indicated in my example above, some questions were off-topic, and that’s when a moderator needs to step in and steer the conversation back on topic.

I’d like to add that holding people accountable for their behavior isn’t equivalent to blaming them; it allows them to understand where you're coming from, and possibly to alter their behavior in future. It opens up dialogue. (In the colloquial, this act is sometimes known as “calling people on their shit.”) If you do not do this, it helps keep the problem invisible.

Also: using a panel to promote the online business you work for degrades the debate. Along similar lines, I did not see any benefit to projecting the panelists' blogs up on a screen to the audience. Whose idea was this? This added no benefit to the discussion that was happening on stage, or in the audience.

However, two comments toward the very end almost redeemed the whole experience for me. One comment was made by Skye Kilean, and you'll have to turn to the podcast to hear it, as I can not reproduce it here as eloquently as she did. The other comment was made by someone who was with Alexis Schollmeyer; I believe it was Catherine Leamy, who said women need to group together because while it’s easy for the establishment to ignore individuals, it’s harder for them to ignore groups.

Elisa Camahort liveblogged this panel discussion.

Keynote: Heather Armstrong, Jason Kottke (2 PM)

I had a Pink Floyd moment when I arrived late and entered what I believed to be the conference room for the “keynote conversation”. This was a large dark room—quite full with people—and a big screen in the far corner. Heather Armstrong and Jason Kottke were projected on the screen. The main act was completely cut-off from their audience. Then I realized that this was the overflow room, and that the real action was taking place in another room.

The conversation was pretty good: both speakers were lively, funny, and yet humble participants. They both seemed to want to acknowledge the strangeness of having their conversation a keynote event.

Kottke had a joke line about his fiance being like Yoko Ono, breaking up his online project. This received a huge, prolonged, knowing laugh from the audience. Of course, the roots of that joke are misogynistic, and this theme is played out time and again in biographies and other public readings of high-profile couples (e.g., Liam Gallagher and Patsy Kensit). The belief is, when artistic men get married, they get domesticated, and then get boring. Oh, how the women are to blame! This article in The Guardian suggests otherwise. (Hat-tip Brutal Women.)

I reckon Kottke’s partner won’t be too pleased to find she’s been likened to Yoko Ono, who functioned as a kind of lightning rod for misogyny around the Beatle-era (and even today). The same thing happened to Linda McCartney, although to a much lesser degree.

One of Heather’s funniest lines was about meeting Kottke: “I feel like I’ve met Brad Pitt’s cousin.”

Panel:Bloggers in Love: Intimacy, Technology and Mask-Making” (3:30 PM)

Panelists: Heather Champ, Ponzi Indharasophang, Julie Leung, Chris Pirillo, Derek Powazek, George Sessum, Jeneane Sessum.

Moderator: Lisa Williams.

Note: Julie Leung informed me verbally that she was involved in the organization of this panel, so credit where credit’s due.

This was an entertaining panel that flew by. I halfway expected to witness some nauseating lovey-dovey talk, but this never really happened. In fact, Chris Pirillo admitted that when he tried to think up 100 things he loved about his partner, he had a very hard time coming up more than twenty. He encouraged everyone with a partner to try this - it's harder than people think.

Lisa Williams talked about how she found out she was linked to by an A-list blogger, but when she saw the post, it was entitled, “Blog Divorce”. It was regarding Williams’ relationship with her husband, and how her blogging takes time from him (I think - I’m working from memory here). Williams said the first thing that she did was get up and make her partner pancakes. The audience laughed like mad, but I found the antecdote rather sinister. Besides the obvious question that springs to mind (would a male blogger be told he’s jeopardizing his marriage by blogging?), someone on the outside commenting on a relationship as if they were privy to what goes on in that partnership a case of extreme arrogance. Lisa Williams’ response - to immediately edit her behavior to fit a more conservative wifely mold - was not funny; it was ominous.

I can’t really remember what I gleaned from that panel (there was some stuff about disclosure, and also about how high-profile relationship blogging can get nasty). The rules are unwritten in this area, and I think that’s why its so fascinating hearing how couples negotiate their online selves with their personal lives. At any rate, I wasn’t too fussed at the end about content, as the panel had been so entertaining.

Meaningless brush with blogger-fame: Heather Armstrong came in late and sat one seat over from me.

Panel: Blogging While Black Revisited (5 PM)

Panelists: Tiffany B. Brown, George Kelly, Tony Pierce, Jason Toney.

Moderator: Lynne d. Johnson.

Yes. This is what a panel can be; this is what a panel should be. I felt energized and stimulated after Blogging While Black Revisited - although prior to it I felt tired and had to break down and buy an overpriced cup of coffee. Not so afterwards.

This panel worked for the following reasons:

The panelists worked as a team.

No one hogged the limelight - everyone got a chance to speak, and everyone listened. The mutual respect the panelists had for each other emanated from the podium. But the respect didn’t interfere with questioning each other’s statements (e.g., George Kelly questioned Pierce calling himself a bad writer, and Tiffany Brown and Lynne Johnson briefly disagreed but acknowledged each other's points).

There was little time spent on self-promotion.

There was minimal time spent on self-promotion. In fact, just the opposite sometimes; Kelly had to be prompted by a panelist to tell the audience what his blogs were. I don't know if he forgot, or it just didn't seem relevant to him. This was refreshing.

The panelists had things to say.

Jason Toney said at the end he hoped they had brought content to SXSW; oh yes they did. If there isn’t a similar panel next year at SXSW, it should take place somewhere else.

You can hear (and see!) the panel: George Kelly has uploaded a video recording of Blogging While Black Revisited at his blog, All About George.

Not afraid of people feeling uncomfortable as a result of the discussion

The panel wasn’t afraid of offending the white people in the audience. This allowed for a more frank and open discussion, which I really appreciated. For instance, Lynne d Johnson brought up how one blogger wrote that she was well-spoken, and Johnson explained the racial dimension to that kind of assessment of a black speaker by a white audience member. Johnson bringing forth this issue prompted me to examine my own attitudes.

If it was left at that, that would have been enough. But then something unexpected happened. The white blogger in question was present, and she stood up and talked a bit about it. Only in an atmosphere of mutual trust and respect can this kind of constructive dialogue occur.

Liz Henry liveblogged this panel in the row behind me, and I have to say she was tapping fast and furious in order to record the panel discussion as accurately as possible.

Related link: Jason Toney at Negro Please: “SXSW 2006 03.12 - Blogging While Black Revisited: Reloaded.

SXSW Culture

Nerd Themed Bingo Card from SXSW.I’m now going to outline the general atmosphere of the SXSW conference. Again, bear in mind that this was my first time at SXSWi, and I don’t regularly attend technical/blogging/web-related conferences.

It seemed to me that the SXSW Interactive was mostly a technical conference, with a few non-technie-related panels tacked on. This differs greatly from the first BlogHer conference, where there were some technical how-to sessions, but for the most part it offered a non-techie schedule.

Conference? What conference?

During panels, people tended to web-surf while sitting in the audience, which I’ve already mentioned. This seemed to happen more in some audiences than others; the Better Blogging panel was one in which many people seemed unattentive to what was happening on stage.

Jerry Richard told me he intentionally left his laptop at home, as he wanted to make contact with people and felt it would be too tempting to spend time online at the conference if he had it. Good for him.

The panel discussions are the big draw for me; I'm not so into the networking in the hallways. I want to hear people - sometimes people whose work I've been reading for some time - speak at length with other panelists and a moderator. At SXSW, the panels almost seemed like an excuse to bring people together in order to network.

In-n-Out

People also tended to pop in and out of panels. Don’t like the way the panel is developing? Fine, simply ditch the panel and pop into another one! No problem, Gov’nor!

If the door was situated near the stage, this could be very distracting. For instance, during the Better Blogging panel, the door was near the front of the stage, and I couldn’t help looking everytime someone came in (which was frequent). It dosen’t matter how interesting the panel discussion, a door constantly opening and closing is distracting.

This was even more noticeable in a smaller room; the noise from the hallway is let into the conference room when the door swings open, and many of the doors' opening and shutting make a loud clatter.

I work my panel content around my online business, you know.

As I said earlier, I felt some panelists brought little content to a discussion, but were just there to work in mentions of their online business/project/book/wizzbangthingie-they-invented. I don’t mind a bit of that (say, one or two brief sentences). A little goes a long way.

Similarly, some audience members would plug their projects before asking a question. It just made me cringe.

The main reason I feel this way is because a) I don’t want to sit through an advert, b) it takes time away from the real star of the show, the panel’s topic, and c) it degrades the integreity of the panel discussion. A real flow to an argument or debate needs to get going, and these adverts were jarring and out-of-place.

Or maybe I was out-of-place. I spoke with Virginia DeBolt about this before a panel, and later on, with Evelyn Rodriguez and Tish Grier in the hallway. Their feedback led me to believe that this behavior is standard fare at conferences like SXSW, and they seemed generally unfazed by it. This made me immediately check my perceptions.

Still. All I can say is, some people opted not to do this, or did so in a low-key, restrained manner, so I don’t think it’s totally standard fare. I guess it’s partly a question of your sensibilities. A lot of it was just used-car-salesman like behavior.

BlogHer Here—BlogHer There. BlogHer, BlogHer Everywhere

While it was great to see so many panels sponsored by BlogHer, I felt that there was way too much promotion of BlogHer during each panel. The moderators would often do this. For instance, if there was someone faintly associated with BlogHer in the audience who raised their hand to ask the panel a question, the moderator would identify the audience member as being affiliated with BlogHer. This naming and re-positioning of the audience member in effect claimed that conference attendee as a “BlogHerite”.

I think this is the wrong approach. It gives the impression that BlogHer is some sort of club, and once you have been stamped with the BlogHer logo, you are forever identified as such, even at other conferences. It also alienates those who are not “members”, and it can intimidate people who have not attended BlogHer from raising their hand and entering the seemingly BlogHer-dominated discussion. (I know. I was with one.)

Is it really necessary during a panel to identify people as being BlogHer attendees, or on the BlogHer Board of Advisors, or Contributing Editors, or whatever, during a conference at SXSW? No; remarking upon this is irrelevant and distracts from the topic of that panel.

Since I am an enthusiastic supporter of BlogHer, one of the Contributing Editors at the BlogHer website, and am slated to speak at the next BlogHer conference, writing about this is very, very difficult. Which leads to my next topic…

Don’t Bite the Nerd that Feeds You

I've been delaying publishing this piece for some time. I thought I should be prudent and try to edit out some of my criticisms.

Part of my impulse to self-censor arises from my participation as a panelist. I don’t know if you’ve ever been asked to be on a panel, but it is incredibly flattering. You have been selected because the moderator feels you have something substantial and unique to offer an audience.

Your entry fee is comped and when you register you're herded into a special line which is a kind of fast-track line for speakers. You meet Hugh Forrest, head of SXSWi, and prior to the conference you exchange emails with him. His staff ring you on the telephone to make sure you're all clear about things before the conference, as if you're some sort of celebrity that needs to be coddled a bit about your gig. You write a bio and send it in to them.

All these things make you feel special, and if you are someone who does not receive this treatment all the time, you find yourself loathe to post anything with even a whiff of criticism about the conference. Repaying that special invitation by writing a less-than-glowing report might a) make me look like an ingrate - afterall, many would love to be in my shoes!; and b) cut me off from any future opportunities in panels, conferences, and further BlogHer-related work. (Assuming these were all a possibility to begin with, of course.) The tenuous foothold you've gained can easily crumble with one foot-scuff of a blog post.

Reading some of the rave reviews at other blogs gave me further pause.

Finally, the whole thing is further complicated by the fact that I know some of the people whose panels I’m commenting on.

All the above has conspired to delay this post. My partner wondered if I had to have everyone's approval in order to write something. I objected that people may come down on me like a ton of bricks. He said, "So what?"

I think I can get behind that approach. I had a different experience at SXSWi than others.

So what?

21 comments:

Koan said...

The day you write less than your own opinion will be the day that I stop reading this blog. Frightened of "biting the hand that feeds"? Personally, I'd sooner bite that hand (and be prepared to justify my actions) than bite my tongue (and lose my own self-respect, let alone any respect that others might hold for me).

If I screw up (in person, in writing, on a panel, wherever), I *want* people to tell me, in no uncertain terms - because I don't like screwing up - and if nobody tells me I've done so, it increases the possibility that I'll do so again. With that in mind, if or when I criticise someone, it's because I care enough for them to want to help. If I didn't care, I'd say nothing, and let them go on making an ass of themself.

I can't comment about SXSW - other events conspired to prevent my attendance - but I would hope that, had I attended, spoke and screwed up, you would have told me so.

Tish Grier said...

Fabulous post, SD! and I have a very clear sense that it took alot for you to write some of your sentiments. Yes, it's hard to criticize the "nerd that feeds you" but sometimes the nerd blunders, and I've never believed in being an uncritical cheerleader. I agree with you about the over-self-promotion of some of the panelists, as well as what appears to be a segregating of "BlogHer bloggers" from other women bloggers. Even though I know my assoication with BlogHer helped me get to SXSWI, not being on a "branded" panel made me feel as if I were left out of some special party or group. Still, grouping women together under one brand might eventually hurt women overall--as men will simply stay away when they see the brand because they'll be familiar with the rhetoric.

The bizaarest panel moment for me (aside from the message board a**holes who hijacked the civility discussion) was when Jason Fried hammered the old saw of "don't quit your day job" and everybody thought it was new advice! Just because it's repackaged in a brash young man does not make that particular piece of advice *new* advice.

not to mention how so many tech-immersed folks seem to want to re-invent the wheel...

and I agree about the audience rudeness. All the tap-tap-tapping during panels was annoying...and, yes, alot did look to be zoning out. I think for some it was just a networking op and a place where they might get to meet some of their idols. I can't blame them on those accounts, but if that's the case, then hang to the back of the room otherwise.

ElisaC said...

ARGH. I just lost a really long comment through total user stupidity. So this version of course is going to be shorter and far less articulate I'm sure.

So, what I wanted to say:

You know that line "If they'd fire me or wouldn't want to hire me for writing xxx, then I wouldn't want to work for them anyway"? The same should go for your conference feedback. If one gives honest, constructive criticism people should deal with it and move on. After all, most of the negatives you're pointing out have been pointed out by others too.

The only push-back I would have is on the whole BlogHer identification issue, because this has come up before. In your particular panel, which I took scrupulous notes on for my live-blog, the 5 out of 14 audience commenters who were associated with BlogHer were called on by name, that's true, but in each case they SELF-identified their BlogHer association.

Ayse and Lori, 2 of our other moderators, wouldn't know all of the BlogHers by face/name like that, so although I didn't scribe those sessions quite as anal retentively, I doubt they really picked out and pointed out BlogHers repeatedly.

That leaves me. I didn't take notes on my own session. I know I asked Anastasia to talk about her '05 teen panel. Other than that I don't think I'm guilty as charged, but you will correct me, I'm sure, if I'm wrong.

What's interesting, though, if you're talking about pereptions gleaned from your own panel is this: how does proud self-identification become perceived as oppressive organizational identification? There was another blogger who blogged quite confidently that ONLY BlogHers were called on in that session, clearly factually off the mark. Meanwhile, *my* perception was that the 7 *men* who spoke from the audience were the dominant ones...between Atlantic Monthly guy, Army guy and Athlete online community guy.

I feel there's a bit of "wanting it both ways" in this part of your piece because on one hand you praise the following comment: "women need to group together because while it’s easy for the establishment to ignore individuals, it’s harder for them to ignore groups."

On the other hand you're uncomfortable with BlogHer being a noticeable and vocal presence at the conference...whether self- or group-driven. My feeling is that a group has to be loud and proud to be hard to ignore and to make it clear they're a force to be reckoned with.

Perhaps you were responding with the discomfort of the "establishment" even though you're a part of the revolution. :)

Last comment: by day 3 I had my own laptop out, but that was mostly because I went to 2 sessions where the panel didn't engage with the audience until more than 30 minutes in. No, I wasn't multi-tasking. Yes, I was bored.

Ahistoricality said...

From the point of view of the panelist, it could look like the audience is bored and uninterested - and that can damp down the energy of the panel.

I just assume that they're frantically taking notes on every gem of wisdom that floats across the room....

And on the "biting the hand" thing: these are bloggers we're talking about; if they don't get the concept of having a meeting/event/etc., then thinking about it afterwards -- critically, in the best sense -- while you write, then they don't get blogging.

Great discussions!

Anonymous said...

I had to wait to read this twice--there's so much here. Thank you for such a strong and thorough round-up. I think there's plenty of room here to be a part of a community and still disagree with it and find areas where it can do better. Elisa hashes out the particulars beautifully, so I'll just leave it at that. BlogHer ain't Groupthink. I appreciate what you've shared.

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your take on the experience...particularly articulating the things that felt wrong to me about the women's visibility panel. (And many of the other panels; good moderation is a serious skill.)

I was one of the furious typists. I do the liveblogging thing because I don't trust my memory all that much. :)

But yeah, when it got dull I was likely to float off into the internets.

Anonymous said...

If the biggest impressions to come out of the Elderbloggers panel are that 1.) some attendees came to see me and 2.) I'm good at marketing myself to mainstream media, then the panel is a failure.

I thought the panel covered its topic pretty well until I read this, and I'll now put a great deal more thought to what you've said, SD, and how I present myself and ideas in the future.

But I'd also like to point out that your belief in my marketing skills is misplaced. Would that it were true.

Whatever mainstream media publicity my blog gets, none has ever been solicited. An email pops into my box or the phone rings and then someone writes a story.

What bothers me a bit, however, is the faint feeling in your post that there is something wrong with marketing one's blog. Many bloggers do that and some succeed in creating more and new opportunities for themselves. I believe that's a good thing.

Blogging is still in its infancy in that no one knows how it will continue to develop. But we know one thing for sure: blogs are changing public conversation, changing public attitudes toward what is useful media and opening media to many new voices that deserve to be heard and be part of the national debate.

Personally, I'm grateful for the MSM media attention I get not only because it helps my blog traffic, but it spreads around the ideas I promote on TGB: that elders, just because we got old, are not less worthy than younger people; that it is wrong to make elders invisible in the culture; that it is illegal to discriminate against elders in the workplace, etc. etc. and that blogging is such an excellent activity for people as they get older.

The more TGB gets quoted about all this in mainstream media and elsewhere, the greater chance we have of changing a youth-besotted, Botoxed, ageist culture into something that will be easier and better for people who are young now when they get old.

I'm probably flattering myself, but because aging and what it's really like to get older (the topic stated at the top of TGB from day one and repeated on my business cards for consistency) are not the sexiest topics anywhere in any media, perhaps the blog gets the attention it does because I had the guts to write about a taboo subject with a positive attitude - which is new.

I had no illusions when I started TGB that it would get much interest. I just wanted a place to write about getting older in a different way from everywhere else and see if, in doing so, I could figure out for myself what getting older "is really like." I had no intention of becoming an advocate - that developed gradually and I'm kind of surprised myself at my growing fierceness in advocating for elders. I suspect that attitude, in itself, gets some amount of attention.

And my timing was, by accident, excellent - to start the blog just two years before the oldest boomers hit 60.

If I've "cornered the market" on the topic of elders and their place in the culture, it's because almost no one else is doing it.

Also, (I'll keep saying this until she can't stand it anymore), whatever attention TGB and I get, a great deal of it has to do with Elisa Camahort's support starting with inviting me to speak at Blogher'05 and continuing again at SXSWi. A little bit of Blogher's growing success has spilled over onto TGB and I am forever grateful to Elisa.

Because of all of the above, I am gaining more and more support for the idea of a laptop for every elder in the U.S. People who know far better than I how to make such things happen are paying attention and want to help.

This is a crucial project for the betterment of elders' lives and for helping to control healthcare costs as the proportion of older people in the population increases considerably in the coming decades.

And now that you've got me thinking about this harder, if marketing myself and TGB helps make that happen, I'll actually start to put some time and work into it now.

Sorry to have carried on for so long - but you did get me going, SD :-)

Diane said...

I didn't even attend this conference, but I found your review to be a great read. And, from your description, there were a lot of things going on there that would have pissed me off, too.

One thing, though: "I found this assertion hard to believe; most people write for people they know, either their their friends or family."

You think? I don't. I write first for myself, and then for the people "out there."

Anonymous said...

I attended the Butt Kicking panel, and even as a member of the patriarchy I found it disappointing and largely a waste of time. Thanks for spelling out what made it so. There weren't any butts being kicked in that room, just maybe a few kick me signs being passed among the panelists. Feh.

James said...

I know. I was with one.

That'd be me. I'm Sour Duck's partner; I was at SXSWi on Saturday. (Another panelist's perk: a free day pass for a companion.) I met a few of you briefly, but mostly I stayed in the background.

I've been a little reluctant to pipe up here; partly because I think Melinda's made her points eloquently enough without me popping up with a "well I'm her husband and I agree"; and partly because I view BlogHer as a positive force. I thought it was fantastic that BlogHer were able to raise womens' visibility so much higher at SXSWi; and that SXSWi were open and encouraging of this participation.

But: maybe I can give an outsider viewpoint on the two powered-by-BlogHer panels I attended. The feeling I came away with was "well, that was a bit of a BlogHer love-in".

Two reasons why:

1. BlogHer was mentioned a lot by panel moderators. For me this was particularly the case during Public Square or Private Club: Lisa, moderating, took a lot of time to both frame and answer questions in her position as a BlogHer cofounder.

The role of moderator, as others have commented, is a difficult one: the best moderators fade into the background, unobtrusively keeping conversation flowing to draw out the panelists opinions. For me, Lisa was too often in the foreground giving the BlogHer perspective. BlogHer is an important example of an identity group, but I think that this would have been better explored by adding a panelist to speak to the BlogHer perspective than by having Lisa slip between moderator and panelist roles.

2. Many of those involved in BlogHer clearly know each other socially as well as online. The moderators recognized many of those asking questions; there was an easy familiarity; and yes, often questioners were identified by the moderators, both by name and by BlogHer affiliation. (My memory of this seems to differ greatly to Elisa's; maybe both our perceptions are being shaped by position, hers as insider and mine as outsider?)

This was in one sense a good thing, as it lead to a more conversational flow between audience and panel: it's a lot easier to stand up and have a chat with a friend than to pose a question to a stranger.

But for those of us outside the BlogHer camp, it made the sessions feel a little, well, cliquey. It's harder and more intimidating to break into a circle of familiarity that you stand outside.

Maybe this is just a consequence of the strength of the BlogHer community, combined with the self-selection which led to these panels having a high proportion of BlogHers in the audience. But still, it felt a little like there were two conferences going on: the SXSWi nerdfest, and the BlogHer community bubble.

I thought it interesting that Elisa felt that Public Square or Private Club was dominated by male questioners; my impression was quite the opposite. I though the Army guy (who raised questions on soldier blogging) and the magazine publisher ("our audience is 90% rich white males") got a fairly rough ride from the audience, maybe because their identity groups already have a lot of power.

The final male questioner Elisa mentioned raised an interesting example which I wish had been explored more: a user of his community site, unwilling to pay for access to premium content became angry and disruptive. Being outside a closed group can lead to feelings of exclusion and even resentment -- a-ha, this seems almost relevant here!

On a personal level, the bottom line: I saw Melinda come back from BlogHer '05 energized and fizzing with ideas. SXSWi clearly did not provide the same experience -- with the exception it seems of the Blogging While Black panel.

The big question for me is this: can BlogHer '06 -- bigger, longer, and closer-knit -- recreate the same positive, inclusive vibe as its predecessor? Or will it turn into SXSWi Lite?

Anonymous said...

Lot of good reading to do in this post and comments. Now that I've got my ego stuff out of the way above and have reread all this several times...

I'm particularly interested in the Kick Butt panel that some have expressed disappointment with. Aside from overly lengthy personal and professional (and boring) biographies from a couple of the panelists, I loved this panel and I got a lot out of it. For starters, like all Blogher panels, it benefitted from a large amount of audience participation - a discussion instead of being lectured at for an hour.

Taken as a whole, it reminded me of 1960s feminist discussions I participated in so long ago: here's an issue (we're not as visible as men at conferences and online) - what can we do about it. And I think it's a mistake to take the "Kick Butt" part of the panel title too literally. The point was not to find a butt to kick, necessarily, but to engage the issue and see what ideas we have about it.

No question as large as this can be solved in an hour. Some good thoughts and ideas were presented from the panel and the audience - others were not so good (to me, but others may have found them useful). I came away with a lot to think about and that is one definition of a good panel. The discussion here also shows that.

A big complaint seems to be a perceived emphasis on Blogher and Blogher members. I'm not clear what it means to be a Blogher "member." Am I one because I spoke at Blogher'05? Because I spoke at a Blogher-organized panel at SXSW? It's not a club in that there are no dues or membership cards and personally, I have no sense of "belonging" to it beyond that I support its goals and intend to participate in its activities when I have the time and can add value.

Beyond that - unless I'm missing something - anyone who supports Blogher goals can align herself (or himself) with the organization in the same way that in the 1960s, anyone who supported women's movement principles could call her- or himself a feminist even if they were not a dues-paying member of NOW.

If there was an over-emphasis on Blogher, it is because it is a new organization addressing an important issue: where are the women? Like the old joke about slamming the jackass in the head with a two-by-four, first you have to get people's attention. That requires repetition, as any good marketing person knows. What is the alternative? Blogher sponsored and produced five panels at SXSW. Should people - as moderators, panelists or audience speakers - refrained from mentioning their sense of affiliation? I think not.

It is only a year since its founding, and Blogher is still getting people's attention. This is important. If the ubiquitous mentions of Blogher seem to be overkill or, to some, exclusionary, all you need do to feel included is to align yourself with it's goals (if you agree) to be one of them.

Yes, people make friends at conferences and are delighted to see one another again at the next conference. This is a good thing. It is part of how the debate and conversation are moved forward. If it feels exclusionary to newcomers, that's how it is when one first encounters an affiliated group of people. You become included by including yourself, by speaking up, by contributing to the conversation. No invitation is required.

Also, I disagree with Sour Duck that men's part in keeping women invisible was the unmentioned elephant in the room. That is a given I don't believe needs to be belabored. To spend time discussing the truism that men have power merely by being born male is a waste of time. They won't give up that power without being prodded (nor do I think women would if the culture were reversed), so other ideas on how to overcome their inherent power need to be put forward. Which is what happened at the Kick Butt panel.

I never felt, in that hour, that women were presented as the problem so much as - in the manner of the Sixties women's movement - women are their own solution. That no list of steps to be taken was created is not an indication of failure of the panel. A couple of hundred people left there with some new thoughts and ideas and some of those people will find ways to use that information with intent and purpose and - as with the Sixties women's movement - the zeitgeist will begin to change. To vastly distort Everett Dirksen's famous aphorism: an idea here, an idea there and pretty soon you're talking about real change.

One last, specific item: I liked seeing the blogs of panelists projected on the screen. It allowed me to scribble down the names of the blogs I'd missed in the verbal introductions to be able to check them out later. I see the projections as an adjunct to the intros, making more clear what the panelists do online. Hardly a distraction - just another piece of useful information.

I sincerely hope that the Kick Butt topic - by that name or any other - will continue to be presented for further discussion at Blogher'06 and other conferences. It shouldn't be a one-shot deal - there is much to be done.

Anonymous said...

Hola,

I had a very different experience at SXSWi than BlogHer, as they are different beasts. I have attended SXSWi since 2001 and this year was the best for meeting up and talking to folks outside of the panels and 2003 was the best for panels (for my interest set).

This year I did not get to any of the blogging panels as they were all in opposition to design / coding panels I attended.

SXSW is always an interesting grab bag of attendees: the internet "rock stars" from SF bay area, the local texans, to the dedicated freelancers and bloggers who come from all over to hang with their "peeps" once a year and get inspiration (much of it from conversations not the panels). This year was great in that with the BlogHers, the Brit Pack, the OzSquad, and all the other folks who showed up, there was a much wider range of voices on the panels and at the parties. This was also the first year of lines in the ladies room.* This was wonderful.

As for the laptops, I can't speak for others, but for myself and many of the designer/coders I know, we are taking notes or live blogging the sessions.

Come back again next year. Meet new folk, let your voices be heard, eat lots of bbq.

*My friend Leslie Jensen, a designer, was esctatic on Saturday when after a panel she came back to our grouping and exclaimed, "There was a line in the ladies bathroom! This is good!"

Anonymous said...

I think I appreciate this post about SXSW more than some of the glowing reviews because it's clear that this is an honest critique. When praise is given, it's because it's earned - when there's criticism, I pay attention. The concept of "biting the hand" plays into this - if someone's thoughts are *only* glowing is it because they were truly smitten or is it because they're looking for more work? I'm not sure that this is a bad thing since we all need an income, but it's not what I'm necessarily looking for as someone who couldn't be there.

I've only ever attended academic conferences so I'm not familiar with the self-promotion you're describing but it makes sense to me that if someone has something to promote they will want to do so and will seek opportunities to do so. I think there is a skill to doing this smoothly, without making people feel like you're a walking advertisement, that there's more to you than just your product/business/blog/whathaveyou. There's an underlying need in what we do, for each of us to support ourselves - this isn't going away anytime soon. I agree, that panelists shouldn't be using the panel as a self-promotion vehicle - after all, this is what their bios are for. However, there does need to be an opportunity to connect with others, but (and remember I have no prior experience with this) I would hope that this is something that would/could/does happen outside the panels.

About the BlogHer love-in, this is something that worries me. That there are different interpretations of what went on at SXSW doens't help. I wasn't at BlogHer05 and I'm planning to attend 06. I feel like James, an outsider. I participate online when I can but other responsibilities don't leave me as much time as I'd like. I wonder how 'outsiders' are going to feel at BlogHer06. I'm hoping that the community is going to be open to newcomers, but there's a real sense of an already established community, and how to negotiate entry makes me anxious.

Koan said...

Given that I wasn't at SXSW, I'd like to address the generality of this "BlogHer clique" notion - by reminding people how difficult it is get involved - you go to the BlogHer site and join. "Oh, but I don't have posting privileges, like the Contributing Editors" - there was a general call for volunteers for those posts. "Oh, but I'm not on the in-list for panel speaking" - the panelists for the first conference were (correct me if I'm wrong) drawn from those who had registered to attend the conference. Which meant anybody who paid the registration fee. *Such* a cliquey, exclude everybody set-up. ;-)

Maybe BlogHer looks like a clique to those who sit outside it - but why should those who decided to get involved a year ago be looked down on by those who either a) didn't get involved a year ago, or b) didn't know about it until recently?

I'm not saying that BlogHer is perfect - what is? I *do* believe, however, that BlogHer provides an excellent launch-pad, out of which people get at least as much as they're prepared to put in. Maybe the familiarity between BlogHers was off-putting to those who weren't BlogHers (or even to those who *were*) - but I imagine the indifference experienced by being a minority speaker (i.e. a non-SWM at a typical SWM conference) would be worse.

SWM = Straight White Male

ElisaC said...

Wow. So much feedback it may take a long time to wrap my head around it and convert it into useful guidelines for this year's conference.

James: 2 things: I don't like to rely on my memory, which is why I take such comprehensive written notes. But I would like to clarify what I meant when I said I had the impression that men dominated from the audience. My point was that, whether we were giving them a rough time or not, a lot of the session's hour was spent listening to, responding to, addressing etc. the questions raised by the guys. So despite being a BlogHer panel it felt like it was heavily weighted towards exploring the issue at hand from the male perspective. This, I might add, is a very common thing that happens...racism explored from the point of view of whites, sexism explored from the point of view of men. etc.

But I'd really like to throw a reminder out there to all the folks who are concerned about BlogHer 06 feeling clubby. It's going to be much bigger and spread out over two days this year. There will hopefully be JUST AS MANY BlogHer virgins as repeat offenders :)

Anonymous said...

Koan, you're right - it is easy to get involved in BlogHer. I really like all the surveys, comment threads, forums, etc. where participants get to be involved in organizing. Last summer I started talking about plans for a Canadian BlogHer but family crisis/life happened I still haven't caught up I've never figured out how some people are able to participate so much/post every day but maybe I'll learn this at BlogHer06.

My apprehension about BlogHer is no different from other group situations, where I'm certain everyone else knows each other and they sent me an invitation as a gag (and I have spinach in my teeth). ;) My own insecurity, nothing to do with how BlogHer is organized.

Elisa, thanks for the words at the end - it's a comfort.

Anonymous said...

Melinda, great post! disclaimer: I did not attend SXSW. Elisa is right that there is much substance in your reflections and experience as there are with the commenters to your post.

"Honest disagreement is often a good sign of progress" - Ghandi

All of the experiences related here are as valid as the others. I only wish Ronni hadn't used the 60s women's movement as an analogy given that movement was ultimately unsuccessful. While her experience of SXSW was different from yours, both are to be considered in the context of how one considers expectations, intentions and takeaways from what is in its essence a messaging experiment.

The fact that some in attendance expected more than messaging is important information. For those who see engagement in these meta topics as goal seeking, instead of merely thought and message experiments could lead to positive breakthrough projects if those are encouraged. My bet is that the Blogher team will recognize this as an opportunity. At least, I hope so.

I agree with Elisa, again, that there is much here to think through. It's clear that your intent is to provide an honest point of view that may be representative of others who are uncomfortable with self promotion and even intimidated by the intimacy that some of the group share. Yours is not the first concern that has been communicated on this point.

Hopefully, making newcomers feel welcomed will be a consideration for activities and structure of the conference. It's a legitimate issue among women, I believe.

On another front, I was and am hugely supportive of Blogher's general role in SXSW. To the extent that messaging builds awareness, these are excellent indicators of progress. The fact that so many women were represented on panels and mixing with the other attendees is a good thing.

You point to another issue which I believe remains to be determined and that is how men will engage, collaborate and contribute to Blogher. It feels like an unresolved concept, as the Blogher survey from last year and the comments that surrounded the role of men in Blogher don't indicate agreement.

Finally, it is through acceptance and consideration of thoughtful and informed criticism that the organization has an opportunity to grow. I'm probably not alone in being grateful for your particular contribution to an open and tranparent discussion.

Liz said...

Ah, I want to comment extensively later, but thanks for writing this!

And I enjoy your curmudgeonliness.

Liz said...

One thing at a time...

First, I do know that some people got where I was coming from, and got something out of it.

I was trying to avoid having to explain what the patriarchy was or defend the very idea that sexism exists in general or on the web or in tech. Without having to explain that, I knew we could push much further into "So now what." I was not there to do Feminism 101 for SXSWi. That would be a different panel... It might be quite useful to have it, as well as a panel of "And here's about 8 bazillion examples of evil sexism that I as a woman in tech have experienced." Which, actually, all of us on the panel talked about to some extent, but decided was not the point.

I think Jan's position was to approach the solution by facing down internal barriers women have that make them feel that self-promotion is wrong. Her solution was not just "kick ass 10 times more than the men around you"... but also "and don't forget to tell the world about it." What she was saying on the panel was a direct demonstration of that philosophy. Not to wait to be asked, or looked for, but to step up and say "I'm great at my work and here's why and here's how to find me." I agree with Jan that this is crucial. Diffidence and niceness isn't going to help fix anything. I think it's possible to do this without becoming part of the problem - i.e. do it without stepping on anyone else.

I wanted, though, to take a different approach. I suggested a systemic technological fix -- as the furthest thing I could think of from Jan's solution. (At least, the furthest thing that seems within women's grasp, and that doesn't involve violent revolution.)

I was not suggesting tagging. Instead, two things: an extension to xml, something like xfn, that people could use to mark up their pages to indicate authorship and identity. It could be built in to existing tools, or added to whatever people like Kaliya are doing with identity authentication layers, or be xml... but it would create standards for people to declare their identities or affinities - including gender, but I also mentioned race as an example. There's room for discussion of what that would look like.

The second part of my proposal is that tools be built to use that information. Currently, we look at a set of all pages (for google or other search engines) or of blogs (for Technorati or whatever other blog-specific search engines.) so we know by Technorati's algorithms what blogs are considered the most important by other bloggers. We *can't* ask the question, "Who are the most important bloggers in the view of all the *women* bloggers?" or "in the view of all the *non-male* bloggers?"

If we had gender identity data we could see if the answer to that question. What blogs do women rank most highly? What blogs do men rank most highly? What male-identified ( tiny joke...) blogs do non-males think are most interesting? etc. Extend this to race and you might see how it could be both fascinating and useful.

The mere fact that those answers would all be different means that we should do it and see what the answers ARE. Also, seeing their differences shows directly how we construct "value" and ranking, and how that value depends on the identity of the constructors. So what I am suggesting is actually rather radical. I am saying that tech can give us a direct way to take the power of constructing value, and own it, and make it very very transparent.

Of course that data could be used for scary purposes, but.... I guarantee you it already IS... or will be. So why not build it to be open and used by everyone?

Not everyone would identify themselves, but enough would that we would get interesting data. It would actually allow us to "name the problem" MORE than we can now with existing vision.

It would make women more visible to each other, and it would also make them more visible to men who cared to look at what women's standards of aesthetics, usefulness, and value are.

You might argue that it will not matter if those aesthetics are visible; patriarchy basically guarantees that women's standards and power will be denigrated, belittled, etc. In other words what women assert is valuable, patriarchy will devalue *because* women like it. One merely has to breathe a hint that "teenybopper girls" or "housewives" like something for it to become the epitome of unpowerful. Consider romance novels; they *sell*. By all rights their continued existence should change something about what is considered valuable - they have this huge economic power. But... are they Literature? Somehow... (sarcasm) Not. HOrribly.. I remember this same dynamic being pointed out to me when I first joined the STC in the early 90s - I was warned that because women were succeeding in "infiltrating" tech writing, tech writing was going to become a low-power pink-collar job. THAT sort of thing. Anyway, you could argue this against what I'm proposing. And you would be quite right to argue it. I don't think it's a good reason for not DOING it, though.

Tara and Virginia had other things to say, but I thought I'd try to make my own statement a little more clear.

My 2 metaphors, which I just didn't have time on the panel to go into, and I realized they were too wacky to pass without a lot of explanation... were ... well... "radical fuzzy separatism" which just cracked me up as a name... because I'm suggesting a temporary separatism and one with fuzzy boundaries. The other metaphor is of Maxwell's Demon. Think of patriarchy, or racism, as being Maxwell's Demon, i.e. an invisible and imaginary and impossible Agency, a being sitting at the tiny doorway between two chambers and keeping them separate... picking particles out of the air with tiny tweezers, perhaps... We could shoot the demon maybe; we could point out who's wearing the demon suit; we could exhort various particles to whiz around faster so they can trick the demon and get through the door; what I was proposing is to recognize the shape of the system itself and, well, drill some new holes between the two chambers. But first you have to know where the walls are.

Er, this turned out so long I'm going to repost it on my Composite blog... http://liz-henry.blogspot.com.

Yoikes and away!

- Liz Henry
lizzard@bookmaniac.net

Liz said...

Oh and about cliquiness... personally I am super outgoing, am very comfortable meeting new people and in fact enjoy it and get a huge charge out of it. I always talk to people I don't know in a situation like SXSW. While I had met some people before, and had read others' blogs for years... There was not a single person at SXSW that I've met more than, say... 5 or 6 times... including Grace, who was my roommate! We've been reading each others' blogs for a year or so, and I knew Prentiss over several years of blog-reading. Other than them, I barely knew anyone. However, by the end of the conference, I knew quite a lot of people.

I highly recommend to anyone who can overcome their social anxieties, that they make a point of talking to a person they don't know, for every person they talk to that they've already met. I often see people look around a room, as if they're worried... and they look over everyone until they find a familiar face. Then they go sit by them. Well and good... and I do it too sometimes... But it requires effort - and risk - to talk to strangers.

I also noticed the networking and professionalism going on and the process of mutual evaluation going on in conversations. I'd start talking to someone. And there'd be a brief exchange of "who am i and what do i do/what's my blog / why am I here."

And it did not offend me when people who were there to do some professional networking, or who were somehow "important"... did not want to talk very long to me, when I'm a fairly lowly (though fabulous and fascinating) personal or identity blogger with no information/power/jobs/money for them. And I didn't want to talk to them either really unless they had fabulous Ideas and were friendly. Disengagement by mutual agreement was most often polite and graceful.. with a few notable exceptions but out of the dozens and dozens of people I met only about 3 were outright rude and horrid.

That's my attitude towards "conference behavior" and it has worked great for me. I think the best most intense conversations I had... long one-on-one conversations... were with 2 people I met completely at random in the hallway while we plugged our computers into the same outlet, on 2 different days.

However... because I'm overcommmenting like mad already ... here's another thought. Since it's unreasonable to ask the shy and socially anxious to un-shy themselves, how about some structural solutions in the spirit of Radical Fuzzy Conference-ism. The translator conference I go to puts different colored dots on newbies' badges, so that everyone else will know to make an effort to help them feel included, invite them to dinner, etc. It is one of the friendliest conferences ever. Give new BlogHer attendees a buddy or have a dot on the badge. Or do a speed-chatting exercise... like speed-networking. Actually I bet without even looking that Blogher already has some kind of "welcoming/inclusiveness" thing planned for the beginning of the conference.

Kitty said...

This is Catherine from the Women's Visibility panel - this was an excellent write-up! I did not experience many of the blogging panels due to going to the design/development panels instead, but I liked what you had to say about the Women's Visibility panel. It was a great discussion, especially towards the end, but it also felt like the same ground we've been treading for years and years now. I feel like I've read hundreds of newsgroup posts, blog entries, and panel writeups over the years on the same topic. I wish I knew how to take it to the next level.