Hummingbird Down!
I ambled into my living room yesterday and noticed something unusual…

See anything unusual?
But it was odd behavior for a hummingbird. Usually they flit off if another bird approaches, or chase each other. The winner gets the feeder, and the loser flies off to perch in the trees and wait for an opening. Was this little fellow trying a new strategy? A misguided "just try and blend into the grey concrete" approach?
It seemed more likely that the hummer was injured. I crawled on my belly up to the sliding glass door and quickly snapped a picture:

Mayday, mayday! Hummingbird down!
As I imagined this little scenario, I reached up and gingerly began opening the door—the hummingbird immediately flew off. I'm guessing it had flown into the glass door and was temporarily stunned. Having sufficiently recovered, it was startled by my opening the door and flew off again.
Hope you're okay, little fella—wherever you are.

4 comments:
The windows here at home all have blinds which allow the birds to see a background.
He's a cute little guy. I'm glad he flew off...so often those birds that hit the window die or are badly injured. Nice pic Melinda.
I'm so glad she recovered! Thanks for the pic - I've never seen a hummingbird still before.
Feel bad for it.
Post a Comment