World Shut Your Mouth!

Monday, May 07, 2007

Pet peeve: blogs without an email address or contact form

I'm trying to nurse a pet peeve about blogs. It probably won't bother me tomorrow, but with regular watering and care this baby pet peeve may just sprout into a full-blown grudge.

It's when the blog author doesn't have any way for a reader to contact them.

In the past month I've needed to contact three different blog owners to let them know I accidentally submitted a comment twice, or that there was some other problem with the comment function, and I haven't been able to because there's no email listed. Ocassionally, I've wanted to ask permission to use a photo.

The absence of an email address or contact form means there's no discrete way for me to "talk" to the author. A last-ditch option is to leave a comment on one of their posts, and I have gotten through to them this way. But I don't usually like to do that, because (1) it's off-topic and (2) it puts them on the spot, publicly.

I understand not every blogger wants conversation to flow both ways. And at worst, there's a duplicate comment left at a blog and it isn't a big deal.

Still, a part of me says: anyone can set up an email account through GMail or Yahoo! nowadays -- it's easy peasey. So why not create an email account solely for your blog to field any queries?

Whew. I feel better now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm one of those without a visible email address. When I first started the blog I had my address up for nearly a year and in that time only ever got 1 comment from a reader. I did, however, get floods of spam. That flood continues, because it got harvested and traded for quite a length of time.

I'll think about putting it back up, but my readership is small enough that I doubt that anyone really wants or needs a way to contact me. And my comment threads are short enough that nothing would get lost there.

Sour Duck said...

I'm blowing off steam with this post more than anything. I realize you, and other bloggers, have valid reasons for not having a contact form or email address.

And really there's no blogging rule that says you *have* to make yourself available to anyone.

Rachel Luxemburg said...

It's trivial to put your e-mail address up in a format that is comprehensible to humans but not usable by spambots.

Just post this on the sidebar:
your-email-address (at) email.com

Sour Duck said...

Great tip Fiat Lux.

Gmail catches most of my spam but I may just do that.

Kay Olson said...

I share your irritation. Just this past week there was a blogger I needed to contact about something important she'd linked to from my blog and I'd subsequetly altered. No email and the comment function was turned off. Gah!

Sour Duck said...

:D Yes, I think "Gah!" summarizes my feeling exactly. ;)