Blogging is about being clumsy. No, wait -- I meant...
Blogging is about being clumsy. I need to remind myself of this once in a while.
That doesn't mean you shouldn't put effort into your online writings, and try to make your writing clear, and perhaps stylish at the same time.
But writing online is like real-life relationships: even the most conscientious person will find themselves in a mess, occasionally. That's the nature of relationships—they're not always clean and not always manageable.
As with relationships, so too with writing.
What do I want as a reader?
I want elegant writing that has a unique perspective, is clearly written, possibly with selectively chosen links relevant to the post.
So, in a blog post, I want clarity, richness of prose, and respect and consideration shown for the reader.
Except…
Except, I find there's something to be said for the clumsy post that runs on steam alone.
So I guess there aren't any hard and fast rules.
I think that's the great thing about blogging: it's an incredibly flexible platform that is shaped by the writer's needs.
There are other forms of clumsiness, which you probably know of, if you're a blogger. I'm talking about the clumsiness of human relationships. If you spend any time online you'll experience this to some degree or other. Through no fault of your own, of course. Or maybe entirely through your own.
Your thoughts?

2 comments:
I want posts that don't start with a sentence which assumes the reader subscribes to all the same blogs as the blogger, and has read all the posts and all the comments as well.
So few bloggers seem to grasp the importance of summing up your post in the first sentence!
/gripe.
Good gripe.
Post a Comment