Kicking "Nice Girl" in the Teeth
From Raging Feminist, a perfectly formed vignette that mixes Virginia Woolf, minor theft and killing the urge to be a nice girl. I can't figure out how to link to the blog entry without using haloscan, which I don't want to use, but if you visit the archives for July and then scroll down to "Talkin' 'Bout the Bad Girls" (July 7, 2004), you'll see it.
You have to read the whole thing to appreciate it, but Raging Feminist concludes:Virginia's advice sounded much better than mealy-mouthed Nice Girl's lectures on doing the right thing and being good and honest so I kicked Nice Girl in the teeth and went on my way.
Right on! Nice girl isn't working in your best interests, nice girl just wants to conform and get along and work to others' agendas. Nice girl, in my experience, is antithetical to Assertive Woman.
(If you're unfamiliar with Woolf's work, here is a nice summary on Woolf's response to Coventry Patmore's poem that epitomized the Victorian ideal of the angel in the house.)
Update: Thanks to the reader who kindly pointed out that, "Clicking on the timestamp gives the permanent link; same on your blog." "Talkin' Bout the Bad Girls" can be directly accessed: here.

2 comments:
But then, if people think you're nice, they get a hell of a shock when you turn round and give them a bollocking...
:D Yes, you can lose the element of surprise, I didn't think of that! :)
Post a Comment