
A sample of some great posts that are beginning to appear about the
Blogher '05 conference.
- Full Circle Online Interaction Blog - Time to play by my rules, thankyouverymuch! : "There is more than one way to be straightforward -- giving the finger is not my only option (And note the very potentially sexist interpretation of the finger. A simulated penis. Hey, I don't want a penis, thankyouverymuch.) We are steeped and stewed in this culture of male dominance that it is invisible to many men. When we choose to step outside of it, we are often accused of weakness, or as whining."
- Multidimensional.Me - Forms of disclosure : "...when I was asked 'what do you blog about?' or 'in what capacity are you speaking at BlogHer?' I wanted to answer in a way that didn't include the word 'transgendered'. I think I've worked out a form of words now; I just wish I'd thought about that before last night! :-)"
- Beth's Blog - The Hands That Created the Blogher Logo (a photo) and Afternoon Blogher Buzz : "They are both going to save their Google Messenger bags because this conference is the birth of something great and it might be a collector's item, fetching big bucks on ebay someday."
- arse poetica - BlogHer 2005 Rocks Santa Clara : "Herstory in the making."
And a live, in-person Blogher quote:
- "This is the longest I've been offline!" -- Jory des Jardins, at the end-of-the-day Blogher social.
8 comments:
Dear Sour Duck
Thanks for popping by the blog and commenting. Lots to follow up with, but I have to work today (shocking.) My only conundrum is Im having a hard time placing your blog with your F2F identity. I think I lost my brain and I did not have the sense to gather more cards. Alas.
Clues?
Hi! Rather like Nancy, I wish I knew which of the many wonderful people I met, talked with (and also didn't get a chance to talk with) at BlogHer you are - but I absolutely respect your right to privacy.
As for the sentiment I expressed in the quote you used - I know it might seem perverse for me to find it uncomfortable to introduce that topic one-to-one when I just sat on a conference panel for that specific purpose; but as I see it, I aspire to the ideal of social acceptance as a *woman* - and yet I feel compelled to do what I can to help demistify being transgendered so that *other* trans folk will have less of an issue as *they* seek to accepted in their true gender. The panel served the latter; at the cost of the former. That's the challenge for me! ;-)
Hi Nancy - We didn't meet, but at Blogher I clocked your face and your blog. ;) I have an anonymous blog, so I'm hardly likely to describe myself here, but if you're curious please drop me an email.
Koan: Just to reiterate, your participation on the "How to Get Naked" panel was very interesting, you had a lot to contribute and I really enjoyed your perspective. I hope you found it equally good as a panelist.
"I aspire to the ideal of social acceptance as a *woman* - and yet I feel compelled to do what I can to help demistify being transgendered..."
I think I understand what you're talking about - it all depends on the context, doesn't it?
Thanks for comments, both of you!
Thanks also for popping by my blog! I also wish I could connect your face or shoes or feet or bag or jewerly to one of my photos ... but I had to work and parent today. What an amazing event.
Beth - You're welcome. :) Yes, it was an amazing event.
Hi Sour Duck,
I'm really resonating with your and Koan's comments about the ambivalence between advocacy and transparency (if you'll forgive the pun).
I created a Tribe.net tribe "blogherific" last night, and published it to the Bloggers and to the Gay Bloggers tribes. The invite said that Blogherific is for bloggers who identify as women. I hope that phrasing will let some folks who may be in transition, or closeted pre-transition, feel welcome without feeling like they have to explain anything.
cheers,
Strata
PS- Blogherific is a moderated-join, but that's to keep out spambots.
Hi SD...
It was great meeting you (finally, after seeing alot of your comments on Terry's blog)!
you know, I often struggle with how much to tell about myself and how much not to--although my stuggles are not quite the same as Koan's, they still, strangely, involve gender and identity.
I still wonder what is appropriate disclosure and what isn't. And, perhaps you're wise not to disclose all that much if you're just not ready for the fallout.
Hi Tish! It was great meeting you, too. I'm sorry not to have sent you an email earlier; have been busy reading and writing. It was my first "thrill" when arriving at Blogher to glance up and recognize you right away (thanks to the distinctive hat!). I had to confirm it was indeed yourself. For some reason I doubted the evidence of my own eyes - a surreal feeling.
Strata - That's great, hope the Tribe.net tribe "blogherific" opens up a useful dialoge.
Post a Comment