World Shut Your Mouth!

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

SxSW Debate: "Public Square or Private Club?"

I'll be speaking on a panel moderated by Lisa Stone at the South by Southwest Interactive Conference in March 2006.

The South by Southwest (SxSW for short) panel is titled, "Public Square or Private Club?"—the Blogher website's announcement provides further details on this and other panels.

I'm pleased that one of my co-panelists will be Tiffany B. Brown, who was a speaker at the recent Converge South conference, and, despite her apprehension, was apparently very good.

It's great to see that Ronni Bennett (Time Goes By) and Marian Douglas (Marian's Blog) will both be participating on SxSW panels, as well as Evelyn Rodriguez (Crossroads Dispatches), whom I chatted with over lunch at Blogher last year.

I'll be slapping a SxSW icon in my sidebar, dutiful conference panelist that I am.

If this post seems a bit self-congratulatory, well, it is! I'm excited to be participating in what looks to be a huge, sprawling and diverse event. It'll certainly provide an interesting counter-point to last year's Blogher conference. And I've never set foot in Texas before.

Because of this opportunity, I don't see the benefits of remaining anonymous, although I still wholeheartedly advocate the legitimacy of anonymous bloggers.

My name is Melinda Casino and I'm very pleased to meet you.

12 comments:

ElisaC said...

Happy we could encourage you to "come out" :)

Sour Duck said...

:) Yes, it's a bit like ripping off a band-aid. ;)

Koan said...

Woohoo! "Out of the closet"! :-)

I am absolutely delighted for you - I know you'll be an asset to that discussion.

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Now, I have a reason to think about a trip to Austin. Good going Melinda! World - meet Melinda. Lucky world.

K said...

Very nice to meet you, so strange now that i think about it, i kind of feel that i know you (the blogger you) without even a first name.

I'm actually thinking about removing my name because of work and lecturing. There are not that many kristy's who used to live in hk, or are vegan and live in melb.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Hope the conference is a huge success.

Stepping out from behind the curtain is a big step - I'm glad you feel comfortable and ready to do that. :)

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world of "naked" blogging. And glad to meet you by your real name.

Anonymous said...

Oops! That anonymous comment was from me, SD. Not sure how it happened that I came up minus identity. *shrug*

Sour Duck said...

Thanks, everyone, for the celebration comments and positive vibes. ;) Much needed!

Mobile Jones, glad you piped up - and thanks for the kind words. :)

Sour Duck said...

Thanks, Tiffany. I look forward to meeting you too. ;)

Anonymous said...

SD, it'll take me a minute to get used to you as Melinda, but I'll work on it! Thanks for your thoughtful responses to the many issues facing all of us. I don't think I'll be able to make it to SxSW. My loss completely. I look forward to your wrap-up, and congrats on taking the step of leaving anonymity behind. Everyone's glad you're here!

Sour Duck said...

Thanks, ae. Sorry to hear you won't be at SxSW.

You can still call me Sour Duck. In fact, I think I prefer it.