World Shut Your Mouth!

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Quote o’ the Month: Burningbird

Why is that any time any of us mention that women can be something other than just mothers, teachers, nurses, et al, some mother, teacher, nurse et al comes in demanding that we re-affirm that it’s okay to be a mother, teacher, nurse et al. Not supporting the statements we’re making; not providing a shoulder to stand with the women who seek other professions that society makes difficult—no it’s most important that we stop and reassure mothers, teachers, nurses, et al that we’re not ‘detracting’ from these other career choices when we stand up for our choices.
comment by Shelley Powers to her own piece, “Feminists and other Snobs

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a fabulous quote on a subject I hadn't thought about before. I wonder if it's a matter of feeling pressured to be Nice, or perhaps an attempt to make feminism less threatening? An attempt to be all things to all people, as this implies, does a disservice to all involved.

Thanks for being a wake-up call for me.

PS: You added a pic! You're truly stepping out from behind the curtain and I know that's tough for you. Congrats on making the leap!

Sour Duck said...

Sarah - Thanks! :)

Terry - Well Shelley Powers really is the person to thank, you can pop over and read the whole thing (if you haven't already). The comments thread is interesting. I stuck my nose in.

Re: the pic. An attempt to parody Kevin Andre Elliot's photo (at Slant Truth, among other blogs). I checked with him and he seemed to welcome it. I meant to put on a tie but forgot, which I think significantly blunts the "knife" (penknife that it is).

Morgaine said...

It's a distraction technique. It gets you to forget about the point you are trying to make and puts you on the defensive.

The whole argument about women having the choice to work or stay home is a 'strawman' - only the upper classes have enough money to make such a choice. Feminism is about the women too poor to stay home, either because they need two incomes, are single and/or they are raising kids alone.

It's about getting paid a dollar for the same work for which a man gets a dollar . It's about having access and opportunities that men take for granted. It's about having the simple right not to be beaten, exploited, sold or murdered with impunity. It's about controlling your own person - deciding when to have sex or not; when to have a child or not; to be safe on the street and in your own home.

Feminism is a serious subject - don't be distracted by mommy wars - stay on point, they'll get over it.

Sour Duck said...

Hi - Thanks peeps for your feedback and thoughts on this quote. For some reason, this Quote o' the Month seems to have generated a response. (Usually they don't.)

However, I'm closing down the comments because I think the proper place to have the conversation is over at Burningbird, where the quote originated from. Do have a read and share your thoughts in the comments thread there (after reading all the other folks' comments ;)).

Thanks & take care etc. - SD