World Shut Your Mouth!

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Scene this?

Check the cover picture and beginning of the piece.

Yeah. Because we're only interested in young, white, hip, Liam-Gallagher-haircutted male bloggers. *disgusted* (Via comment left at Burningbird from Phil Edwards that led me to this.)

Blogging. It's a scene, man.

Magazine cover of New York magazine.
The ruling face of blogging: young, white, male, heterosexual.

Cross-posted from the link blog.

Category: Culture Not Technology

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that totally looks like all the bloggers I have ever heard of! Except, you know, not. Hello male-normative, heterosexist, white culture.

deviousdiva said...

I am thinking of only linking to women bloggers. Redress the balance a bit. I get so bored of hearing about the same man blogs. They all link to each other and talk to each other, and about each other. They get all the prizes and accolades and money no doubt. I have no plans to be famous or have a mega blog but I don't see why I should direct my few readers towards these boys who obviously don't need or want them as far as I can see. I sense a rather pompous and arrogant tone with many of them and I just can't be bothered with it anymore. Just had to get that off my head.

chandra said...

I'm not surprised the glossy, centrist wealth-loving New York magazine would produce a feature like this. This is a magazine that glorifies trendy young money. This magazine is all about upscale (but fashionable) consumerism. But it's very important to draw attention to this.

BTW - Sour, no offence, but it would be great if you could enable anonymous posting on this blog. I hate it when it's "blogger" only. I have to go rooting around for my three years old password and login in order to leave a comment. I generally don't bother with Blogger blogs that don't enable comments from non-Blogger users (the same goes for those Typepad or Blogware blogs that require a Typepad or Blogware ID. I don't even like *linking* to bloggers who do this). These limitations are totally proprietary and discouraging of diverse comments. And that's not even counting all those folks who don't have a blog.

Sour Duck said...

The anon option is now working. I had turned it off when I was getting heavily spammed; Blogger then introduced their "moderate comments" option, which I now use.