Recommended Blog: Science + Professor + Woman = Me
I'd like to point readers to a blog I've recently discovered, Science + Professor + Woman = Me.
The blog's masthead description puts a brave face on a grim situation:
"Women professors in the physical sciences: a few. Women professors in the physical sciences at research universities: even fewer. Women full professors in physical sciences at research universities, especially mine: very very few, miniscule, microscopic, a nano-amount. But we exist!"I like her sense of humor.
The blog design is pretty bog-standard, but who cares with content like this?
In a nutshell
- Like many academic bloggers, she writes anonymously, using the handle "Female Science Professor".
- She is a full professor at a large university.
- She manages a research program and teaches undergraduates and graduates.
And that's a good thing. Her posts are measured, thoughtful, and precise, and when she's not precise enough, commenters point this out. They also don't hesitate to disagree with her, which brings depth to a blog entry and expands the conversation.
This sentence from the blogger's "about me" section sets the tone for her blog:
"I have the greatest job in the world, but this will not stop me from noting some of the more puzzling and stressful aspects of my career as a Female Science Professor."Do drop by Science + Professor + Woman = Me.
Selected writings
"How Nice Should We Be?"
"College vs. University"
"Frau Professor"
"All Guys"
"A Shining Example of .. Something"
Note: the writing style of my post is based in part on advice about how to write for the web. Did you notice this, and if so, do you prefer this style over my usual style?

2 comments:
Thanks for the pointer to the advice article. I needed that today as I'm fighting my way through the "content creation" phase.
As to whether I prefer the style - I don't know. It's certainly effective, getting ideas across cleanly and neatly, but it's less so for conveying emotion or opinions under consideration. I think you've used this style very well before; your how to do a blog carnival pieces come to mind.
That said, I do really enjoy your more conversational tone in other things. This style feels as if there's less "Melinda" in it.
Just my 2 cents.
I agree with you Terry. Doggedly following this writing advice eradicates my personal style.
The advice I linked to outlines some good "rules of thumb", but overall I'm jettisoning this approach.
Chalk it up as an experiment.
Post a Comment