Feminist Fightback Conference Set to Launch in London
Do you live in the London area and feel up for some political action? Then you might be interested in the Feminist Fightback conference.
Sofie Buckland of Volsunga describes the grassroots event:
"I've also been involved in planning the first Feminist Fightback, a conference for feminist activists to be held in London on October 21—if you want to be part of a feminist movement that is about activism, not just talk; about grassroots campaigning, not just lobbying; about politics, not just lifestyle choices; and about liberation for all, not just equality for a privileged few, get involved!"The event is organized by ENS Women and Education Not For Sale. For further information, visit the Feminist Fightback website.
Ms. Buckland, pictured above, has been known to shave her head once or twice. Hair is a loaded issue for women and can be problematic for feminists. Cutting it often signals rebellion against traditional notions of women, femininity and beauty.
Case in point: academic blogger It's probably me, who describes how a teaching position at a new university has precipitated a crisis of identity:
"My hair was roughly chin-length when I went in for a haircut last week. I'd been trying to grow it out but I didn't really like it and I realized the driving force behind my efforts was that other people like it longer, namely men; no guy I have ever met likes short hair on women. I agree, long hair is feminine but I think I look better with short hair. Scratch that. I think I feel better with short hair. My hair now is very short—maybe two inches at its longest; it's quite cool, especially when it's spiky, but I don't know that anyone looking at me would think, 'Ooo, she's so pretty,' not that they were saying that anyway, but you get my point. This is cool hair, not pretty hair; there is a difference. Getting this style is a mix of middle finger to the male population ('You don't like it? You didn't pay any attention to me anyway, so why should I care what you think?') and conveyor of attitude. I don't feel particularly feminine; I tried on a few dresses Saturday and looked totally stupid. I do feel stronger, though, as if there's a slight strut in my walk, a shrug to my shoulders. The weird thing is, I can't tell if I really like this style or if I'm punishing myself in some strange way.Read "Who am I?" at It's probably me.
And why is this important?"
Brooklyn blogger Feminist Runner unfolds a tale of harassment that occurred while she was running with her partner. The incident really needs to be read in its entirety, however, here a snippet from the end where she makes a resolve:
"I will not cede my neighborhood to harassers. I get it, I was lucky. But without people standing up to assholes, we get more responses like that to the Central Park Jogger 17 years ago.Read the whole piece at Angry Feminist Running Rants.
"I should never need to explain why I was running in my park."
Photo: Flickr. Also posted at BlogHer.

No comments:
Post a Comment