World Shut Your Mouth!

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Former Texas Governor Ann Richards dies at age 73

Ann Richards addressing an audience.

"I did not want my tombstone to read, 'She kept a really clean house.' I think I'd like them to remember me by saying, 'She opened government to everyone'."—Former Governor and Democratic leader Ann Richards (via Echidne of the Snakes)
Democratic leader Ann Richards has died in her home in Austin at age 73. She was diagnosed in March with cancer of the esophagus.

Pinko Feminist Hellcat calls her the "queen of the quip". The Dees Diversion remembers one of Richards' famous witticisms about George Bush Senior: "'Poor George couldn't help his blunders. He was born with a silver foot in his mouth.'". This had the unfortunate effect of spurring his son to run against her for Governor of Texas.

Amanda Marcotte at team-blog Pandagon points to a ray of light, noting that one of Ann Richards' daughters, Cecile Richards, is "following in her mother's progressive activist footsteps and is the president of the Planned Parenthood Action Fund."

Shakespeare's Sister highlights Ann Richards' long-standing popularity with voters, and writes, "There have been few other political obituaries I've posted that make me as sad as this one."

Zuzu at Feministe quotes a newspaper article on her life and accomplishments and simply comments: "Texas—and the country—need more like you, Ann."

Ann Richards is survived by her four children, Cecile, Daniel, Clark and Ellen, and eight grandchildren.

Ann Richards, 1933 - 2006. Rest In Peace.

Photo credit: Answers.com. Also posted at BlogHer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a remarkable woman she was. I wish I'd had the opportunity to vote for her more than two times.

belledame222 said...

-sigh-

RIP Ann. You were one of the good ones.