World Shut Your Mouth!

Sunday, April 29, 2007

No Orange Julius for Tish Grier

Blogger & Podcaster MagazinePink Floyd, The Wall
Hello, is there anybody in there?
Blogger Magazine and Pink Floyd's 'The Wall'.


Tish Grier has written a very interesting post in response to the launch of Blogger & Podcaster magazine.

She presents her argument in an entertaining way, but I particularly liked her point about how it takes money and lots of schmoozing to rise in the online world: "It takes networking and making connections."

Tish Grier is a serial conference-goer and knows what she's talking about.

But there's another point she makes that I wanted to pick up on. She writes about Blogger & Podcaster:

"I can't say I wish them luck. I can't say I wish them anything. I feel kind of the same way I felt when I saw 'punk outfits' in Macy's Junior section at the local mall. Kinda sick. Kinda hysterical. Not in the mood for an Orange Julius."
It's that old, old story: the mainstreaming of DIY ethics and the professionalism of the genre presents a new set of problems and creative tensions, whether that genre is Indie music, painting, punk rock, underground comics, or writing.

Each artist, or to use a more utilitarian word, worker, has to make adjustments when he or she achieves a certain amount of success. And that new set of problems can be used in the work itself.

Pink Floyd's The Wall, anyone?

In a way, it's a problem we'd all like to have.

No comments: